We realize that as a small family-run company, Gentleman Farmer cannot change the world. But we can affect change in our little corner of it. To that end, we strive to only make products that are healthy for people without harming the planet.
Our commitment to sustainable practices includes:
- Easily recyclable materials like aluminum and glass.
- Labels are made from sand, not petroleum-derived plastic.
- The carton is made from FSC-certified paper in a zero-waste, wind-powered facility in Rochester.
- We package the bottles ourselves to minimize our carbon footprint.
- Responsibly sourced clean, non-toxic ingredients.
- The palm oil used in our soap is sustainably sourced from South America, ensuring that no orangutans in Southeast Asia are harmed in any way.
- Carbon is offset through our partnership with CarbonFund.
- Certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny.
- We choose to work with small or local businesses that share our values. Check out this video about our candle makers here.
We are also committed to giving back. Some of our philanthropy partners include:
- The Christine M. Burns CARES Center, the first-of-its-kind program that helps families with chronically ill children.
- Foodlink, a Rochester institution that has fought hunger in the region for over forty years.
- National Young Farmers Coalition, an advocacy network of young farmers fighting for the future of agriculture by changing policy, building networks and providing business services to ensure all young farmers have the chance to succeed.
- NRDC, whose mission is to safeguard the Earth for people, plants, animals.
- For each new Instagram follower, we plant a tree through One Tree Planted.
- We are a member of Pact, a nonprofit organization that collects hard-to-recycle beauty products and prevents them from becoming trash. We are partnering with them on a packaging send-back program; stay tuned for more information!
- Because one third of food production worldwide is attributed to bees and other pollinators, we donated to the Pollinator Health Research Fund at Cornell College of Agriculture and Life Science, a global leader in pollinator research.
- Soul Fire Farm, a BIPOC-centered community farm committed to ending racism and injustice in the food system.
As we grow, we will continue to evolve and improve our sustainability. If you are aware of innovations, please share as we are always eager to learn more.
Additionally, we will raise awareness about agricultural issues. We are not farmers, but we have nothing but respect and admiration for them.